Feb 14th – 16th 2014
Okataina Outdoor Education Centre, Lake Okataina, near Rotorua
An awesome weekend of trail running on the course of the Vibram Tarawera Ultramarathon.
Check out photos from the awesome 2013 camp by clicking here (thanks to Paul Charteris for making these available)
Who is it for?
While designed with entrants to the Vibram Tarawera Ultramarathon most in mind, this training camp will be a valuable experience for anyone looking to share trail time with a great bunch of people.
- Experience the VTuM course first hand
- Learn from Q&A sessions about the course, the race, and how to survive it
- Be inspired by spending time on the trail with some super-experienced runners
- Pick up hot tips to improve your trail running over any distance
- Learn more about nutrition & core strength conditioning for improved performance
- Enjoy a relaxed social atmosphere hanging out with a special tribe of people – Kiwi trail runners.
Who will be there?
The weekend is being coordinated by Running Wild founders, Mal and Sally Law. They look forward to sharing their enormous knowledge of trail running with you.
Over the course of the weekend you will also get the chance to meet, run with and learn from:
- Past VTuM winner, Kerry Suter
- the Race Director, Paul Charteris
- Jonty Garlick & Tam Holden from Pilates BODY DYNAMICS in Taupo – our Pilates for Runners experts
Friday 14th Feb
From 5pm – arrive, settle in, evening meal, briefing on the weekend ahead and an informal “all you ever wanted to know about trail running but were afraid to ask” Q&A session.
Saturday 15th Feb
Pre-breakfast Pilates & stretching
Bus transport to start of run – there are 3 options to suit different levels of fitness & experience:
- Start at Redwoods (VTuM start) and run 36 kms on the course back to the Outdoor Education Centre
- Start at Blue Lake and run 26 kms on the course back to the Outdoor Education Centre
- Start at Okareka and run 18 kms on the course back to the Outdoor Education Centre
Rest & relax back at base, explore some of the other local trails right on the doorstep of the Centre, or take a refreshing dip in Lake Okataina.
Pre-dinner Pilates and stretching or some fun fitness drills with Kerry Suter!
Dinner followed by an inspiring movie and/or talk (details TBC)
Sunday 16th Feb
Pre-breakfast Pilates & stretching are on offer again.
Run from the Centre to Tarawera Falls (25 kms) – faster & slower group options.
A cold dip in the river and then bus transport back to the Centre. A stop at Kawerau Hot Pools will also be included if time allows.
Pack up, say goodbye to your new friends & head home to tell people what a brilliant weekend you’ve just had!
A note about the runs
We will have people who know the trail well but they are not there to guide anyone.
Maps will be provided and while we will strive to keep everyone in groups you should treat this as an unguided run and be responsible for your own safety. The course will NOT be marked as it is on race day so if you are not a reasonably confident map reader then make sure you stick with someone that is. The course is not hard to follow but we really don’t want to lose anyone.
The accommodation is basic but comfortable. Beds are in shared dormitories and all camp participants will need to bring their own bedding and towels. Toilets and hot showers are in blocks so bring a head torch for finding your way to these at night.
If you fancy a night under canvas and away from the snorers, then camping is also an option (although we cannot offer any discount for this)
Best of all, the Centre is a perfect place to relax and get to know your fellow trail runners. There is a large communal kitchen, dining/meeting room and a huge expanse of grass outside – Frisbee anyone?
You will need to bring your own running supplies, but otherwise leave it all to us!
The meals, prepared by professional chef Jean Wan, were a much talked about feature of last year’s inaugural camp, for which we received rave reviews. We will once again be providing delicious, healthy & nutritious food to fuel your body and delight your taste buds. This includes dinner on both nights and breakfast & lunch both days. Sorry, but there is no self-catering option this year.
$295 per head (incl. GST)
This covers 6 meals, accommodation, bus transportation to/from the runs, Pilates/core strength sessions, and access to a heap of knowledge and advice – pretty amazing value for money we reckon!
How to Register
1. Complete and submit the Registration Form (note: you will get an automatic confirmation email that you must respond to in order to complete the process. If you don’t receive this email within a few minutes of submitting your form then check your junk mail)
2. Pay $295 by direct credit to our bank a/c 031527 0006198 00. When paying please use your SURNAME and the code TTTC14 to identify your payment.
3. We will email you with confirmation of your place. PLEASE NOTE: your place cannot be confirmed until full payment shows in our account.
Refunds: If you cancel any time before 1st January 2014 we will reimburse 50% of money paid. After that date no refunds will be made.
If you have any questions about this awesome weekend just fire an email to firstname.lastname@example.org